We are at the heart of the famously cobbled town of Kelso. On the northern bank of the River Tweed, Kelso is surrounded by gently rolling forest hills and rich farmlands. Quite simply a stunning place – it is hard to beat.
Kelso has a great selection of independent retailers with everything from chic boutiques and traditional sports equipment to smart outfitters and pretty gift shops. It also has a wide range of wonderful places to eat and drink.
Breakfast is a vital meal. Ours is simple, tasty, freshly cooked and on the generous side.
Go full Scottish or try something lighter. Please let us know if you have special requirements.
Inglestone House B&B – Kelso
Owned by Lisa & Colin
Originally from Northumberland just 60 scenic miles away, we made Inglestone House our new home in the spring of 2014.
A long-standing love affair with the beautiful countryside and dramatic history of the Borders brought us to the town to realise the dream of running our very own B & B. We had been searching for that “lifestyle” change for some time and were lucky enough to find it here in Kelso. Numerous family holidays with our two boys, walking and exploring the surrounding area, made this a familiar place and with so much to do and incredibly friendly locals we can’t quite believe our luck at living here.
We are new to the B & B industry having only ever been very willing guests on our own adventures. We always enjoyed staying in beautiful places with history, charm and friendly hosts who were so happy to make our stay a special one. We’ve always enjoyed the informality and the comfort provided by good B & B’s and that is what we endeavour to deliver at Inglestone House.
Colin’s background is in Mechanical Engineering. He finally stopped the commute between Kelso and Newcastle at the end of June 2015.
Lisa has a background in Early Years, having spent 15 years working for Northumberland County Council and latterly a children’s charity as a Family Support Worker.
The world is fast becoming a more fragile home to us all and as a species we have a collective responsibility to secure it’s future by taking greater care of our environment. We are constantly looking for ways to be more environmentally friendly and are delighted to have been awarded the Bronze Award from the Green Tourism Business Scheme. To qualify for the award we were scrutinized by a qualified Sustainability assessor on a range of criteria including water and energy efficiency, waste management, biodiversity and a whole lot more. Here is just a taste of some of the things we do to be more green.
- Use of energy efficient LED light bulbs throughout the building, motion detectors where appropriate.
- All our electrical equipment is energy rated as A or above.
- Zone controlled heating with thermostatic valves on all radiators powered by modern, energy efficient boilers
- Toiletries and cleaning products are purchased in bulk to reduce plastic waste
- Glass bottles of tap water which are refilled when required. We have stopped using plastic bottles.
- All our toilets are either fitted with a half flush or have a water saving device in the cistern. All rooms have showers.
- We encourage our guests to reuse their towels by clearly displaying a “Green Towel” policy in every bathroom.
- All our waste and that of our guests is sorted by us for appropriate recycling
- Food waste is kept to an absolute minimum by use of a pre-order breakfast menu.
- Wherever possible we reuse or upcycle furniture. What we are unable to use is often donated to local charities.
- A small centrally located fridge with fresh milk has removed the need for individual plastic pots of UHT milk
- A garden butt provides for the watering of our outdoor pots. The hotter part of our courtyard garden is planted with species which cope with less water.
- Bee friendly flowering plants together with a Bee Hotel in our garden encourage biodiversity.
- We provide secure storage for cycles
- A selection of maps, local walking/cycling trails and British wildlife books are available for the use of our guests
- We use only 100% recycled office paper and professional ink cartridge refills